People buy from businesses that they relate to, that are authentic, that are personable, and that they trust…
Trust. It’s a small word that has a big meaning and can either positively affect your business, or negatively affect your business.
Whether you’re a new business or re-branding your existing business, or simply wanting to reach more customers, trust is the key.
In today’s fast-paced online world, how do you build trust? A great way to start is by blogging.
“Blog!? Aren’t those extinct? I thought social media was where you needed to be?”
Yes, having updated social media accounts is important, but you don’t own those. Facebook or Instagram could shut down at any day, or kick you out, or change their algorithm to make it harder to be seen by your potential customers (which they’ve already done multiple times over the years). Wouldn’t you prefer to own something, like the blog on your website?
A few benefits of having a blog:
- You can share your blog content on social media, therefore giving you shareable content AND bringing people to your website where they can shop, find you, etc.
- With an updated blog, you will rank higher on search engines, as they love new content
- You can showcase your industry expertise and build trust
- You have a reason for people to consistently go to your website
Now, I know what you might be thinking… “I can’t write!” or “I’m too busy!” or “I don’t know what to say!”
And the great thing is… it’s easier than you think! People aren’t looking for their next bedtime novel; they want easy, clear, direct content they can relate to, learn from, and ideally, share on their own social media accounts.
Are you a photographer? Do a photoblog with tiny snippets of what inspired the photos.
Are you a local store? Write (or video!) product reviews and share store updates.
Are you a fitness instructor? Share client success stories (with their consent!), workout tips, healthy recipes, etc.
The key is to build trust. Show off your expertise, let your customers get to know you, share updates so people feel like they’re a part of something, inspire others.
– – –
How to Get Started:
- Brainstorm a few simple blog topics that you feel comfortable starting with
- Integrate a blog into your website if it’s not already there.
- Create time in your schedule each week, or bi-weekly, to write a blog and share it on your social media accounts and/or send it in an email newsletter
Whenever you doubt your expertise or question whether or not people want to hear what you have to say, pay attention to why you’re feeling that way. Did you just go on someone else’s website/social media account and compare yourself? Do you keep saying the words “what will *everyone* think?” (who is *everyone*? If you can’t name at least 3-5 specific people, then it’s just Fear talking).
Don’t let Fear keep your business from growing.